Honorary Hydrology Lecturer
Dr Warburton is currently an Honorary Hydrology lecturer in the School for A
griculture, Earth and Environmental Sciences. Research interests include understanding the dynamics between land use change, climate change and hydrological responses; use of hydrological modelling in impacts studies; detection and attribution of changes in climate and hydrological variables; and land use change mapping.
PhD in Hydrology, University of KwaZulu-Natal, 2012
MSc in Hydrology, University of KwaZulu-Natal, 2006
BSc Honours in Hydrology, Cum Laude, University, University of Natal, 2002
BSc (Hydrology and Geography) Cum Laude, University of Natal, 2001
Current Research Projects
- South African Risk and Vulnerability Atlas – Surface water theme leader (DST funded 2011- )
- Projected Impacts of Climate Change on Water Quantity and Quality in the Mgeni Catchment (Water Research Commission 2010 – 2013)
- Integrated Assessment Models for South Africa (National Research Foundation 2012 -2014)
- ACCESS Water and Climate Change Impacts Themes (DST/NRF 2012-)
Selected Recent Publications
- WARBURTON, M.L. and SCHULZE, R.E. 2008 Potential impacts of climate change on the climatically suitable growth areas of the Pinus and Eucalyptus families in southern Africa: Results from a sensitivity study. Southern Forests: a Journal of Forest Science, 70, 27 - 36.
- WARBURTON, M.L., SCHULZE, R.E. and JEWITT, G.P.W. (2010). Confirmation of ACRU model results for applications in land use and climate change studies. Hydrology and Earth Systems Science, 14, 2399–2414.
- WARBURTON, M.L., SCHULZE, R.E. and JEWITT, G.P.W. 2011. Hydrological impacts of land use change in three diverse South African catchments. Journal of Hydrology, DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2011.10.028.
- GRAHAM, L.P., ANDERSSON, L., HORAN, M., KUNZ, R., LUMSDEN, T., SCHULZE, R., WARBURTON, M.L., WILK, J. and YANG, W. (2011). Using multiple climate projections for assessing hydrological response to climate change in the Thukela River Basin, South Africa. Phys. Chem. Earth, 36, 727-735.
- WILK, J., ANDERSSON, L. and WARBURTON, M.L. (2012). Adaptation to climate change and other stressors among commercial and small-scale South African farmers. Regional Environmental Change, DOI 10.1007/s10113-012-0323-4.
|Contact Number ||+27 33 260 6087 |
|Email ||Michele Warburton |
|Address ||Centre for Water Resources Research |
School of Agriculture, Earth and Environmental Science
Private Bag x01, Scottsville, 3209, South Africa