Tel: +27 33 260 6087
Email: Dr Michele Warburton
Centre for Water Resources Research (CWRR)
School of Agriculture, Earth and Environmental Science
Private Bag X01
Honorary Hydrology Lecturer
Dr Warburton is currently an Honorary Hydrology lecturer in the School for Agriculture, Earth and Environmental Sciences. Research interests include understanding the dynamics between land use change, climate change and hydrological responses; use of hydrological modelling in impacts studies; detection and attribution of changes in climate and hydrological variables; and land use change mapping.
PhD in Hydrology, University of KwaZulu-Natal, 2012
MSc in Hydrology, University of KwaZulu-Natal, 2006
BSc Honours in Hydrology, Cum Laude, University, University of Natal, 2002
BSc (Hydrology and Geography) Cum Laude, University of Natal, 2001
Current Research Projects
- South African Risk and Vulnerability Atlas – Surface water theme leader (DST funded 2011- )
- Projected Impacts of Climate Change on Water Quantity and Quality in the Mgeni Catchment (Water Research Commission 2010 – 2013)
- Integrated Assessment Models for South Africa (National Research Foundation 2012 -2014)
- ACCESS Water and Climate Change Impacts Themes (DST/NRF 2012-)
Selected Recent Publications
- WARBURTON, M.L. and SCHULZE, R.E. 2008 Potential impacts of climate change on the climatically suitable growth areas of the Pinus and Eucalyptus families in southern Africa: Results from a sensitivity study. Southern Forests: a Journal of Forest Science, 70, 27 – 36.
- WARBURTON, M.L., SCHULZE, R.E. and JEWITT, G.P.W. (2010). Confirmation of ACRU model results for applications in land use and climate change studies. Hydrology and Earth Systems Science, 14, 2399–2414.
- WARBURTON, M.L., SCHULZE, R.E. and JEWITT, G.P.W. 2011. Hydrological impacts of land use change in three diverse South African catchments. Journal of Hydrology, DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2011.10.028.
- GRAHAM, L.P., ANDERSSON, L., HORAN, M., KUNZ, R., LUMSDEN, T., SCHULZE, R., WARBURTON, M.L., WILK, J. and YANG, W. (2011). Using multiple climate projections for assessing hydrological response to climate change in the Thukela River Basin, South Africa. Phys. Chem. Earth, 36, 727-735.
- WILK, J., ANDERSSON, L. and WARBURTON, M.L. (2012). Adaptation to climate change and other stressors among commercial and small-scale South African farmers. Regional Environmental Change, DOI 10.1007/s10113-012-0323-4.