Lecturer in Agrometeorology
After completing his Honours degree in Hydrology, Mr CLulow left academia and spent a few years managing dairy farms, a trout hatchery and then as a process manager for an aerial photography company. He returned to Hydrology via a small consulting firm for a year after which he spent seven years with the CSIR, first as a field technician, and then after the completion of his MSc., as a researcher in land-use hydrology. UKZN offered an opportunity to complete a PHD in Water-use of indigenous vegetation of the Maputaland Coastal Plain during which he was appointed as a lecturer in Agrometeorology.
PhD in Hydrology
MSc. in Agrometeorology
BSc.(Hons.) in Hydrology
BSc. in Hydrology and Soils
Current Research Projects
- Open water evaporation using micrometeorological methods (WRC 2014-2017)
- Water use of strategic biofuel crops (WRC 2015-2020)
- Establishment of a more robust observation network to improve understanding of global change in the sensitive and critical water supply area of the Drakensberg
Selected Recent Publications
- CLULOW, A. D., EVERSON, C. S., MENGISTU, M. G., PRICE, J. S., NICKLESS, A., and JEWITT, G. P. W.: Extending periodic eddy covariance latent heat fluxes through tree sap-flow measurements to estimate long-term total evaporation in a peat swamp forest, Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci., 19, 2513-2534, 2015.
- CLULOW, A. D., EVERSON, C. S., PRICE, J. S., JEWITT, G. P. W., and SCOTT-SHAW, B. C, 2013. Water-use dynamics of a peat swamp forest and a dune forest in Maputaland, South Africa, Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci., 17, 2053-2067, doi:10.5194/hess-17-2053-2013.
- CLULOW, A. D., EVERSON, C. S., MENGISTU, M. G., JARMAIN, C., JEWITT, G. P. W., PRICE, J. S., and GRUNDLING, P.-L. (2012). Measurement and modelling of evaporation from a coastal wetland in Maputaland, South Africa. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. Discuss., 9, 1741-1782.
- MENGISTU M.G., EVERSON C.S., and CLULOW A.D. (2012). The impact of taro (Colocasia esculenta) cultivation on the total evaporation of a Cyperus latifolius marsh. Hydrological Processes, (DOI: 10.1002/hyp.9599).
- WASWA, G. W., CLULOW, A. D., FREESE, C., LE ROUX, P.A.L. and LORENTZ, S. A. (2012). Transient pressure waves in the vadose zone and the rapid water table response. Vadose Zone Journal (Accepted).
- RIDDELL E.S., EVERSON C., CLULOW A., and MENGISTU, M. (2012). The hydrological characterisation and water budget of a South African rehabilitated headwater wetland system. Water SA (Accepted).
- CLULOW A.D., EVERSON, C.S., and GUSH, M.B. (2012). The long-term impact of Acacia mearnsii trees on evaporation, streamflow and ground water resources. Water Research Commission, Pretoria, South Africa (ISBN 978-1-4312-0020-3).