Since 1998, Mr Thornton-Dibb has been working at the University of KwaZulu-Natal on various research projects related to hill-slope processes, modelling systems and integrated water resources modelling. He is currently working on an MSc in “Integration and application of ACRU and a river network model for water resources planning and operations”.
Current Research Projects
- A management tool for the Inkomati Basin with focus on improved hydrological understanding for risk-based operational water management (Water Research Commission 2010-2014)
- Technology Transfer of Linked ACRU and MIKE BASIN Models to the Inkomati-Usuthu CMA (2013-2014)
- Water use of cropping systems adapted to bio-climatic regions in South Africa and suitable for biofuel production (2009-2015)
- Assessment of biofuel feedstock production in South Africa – development of assessment utility
- Integrated Modelling For Water Resource Planning And Operations (Water Research Commission 2010-2012)
- Implementation of Adaptive Operational Governance Dashboard (AOGD) for the Inkomati-Usuthu CMA (WRC 2015-2017)
Selected Recent Publications
- Lorentz, S, Thornton-Dibb, S, Pretorius, C and Goba, P. 2004. Hydrological Systems Modelling Research Programme: Hydrological Processes. WRC Report No. 1061 & 1086/1/04. Pretoria.
- Lorentz, S.A., Bursey, K.G., Thornton-Dibb, S.L.C. Jewitt, G.P.W. Blight, J.J. le Roux P.A. and Snyman, N. 2007. From Process Observations to Response Based Modelling: A South African case study. Proceedings 13th SANCIAHS Symposium, Cape Town, South Africa. 6-7 September 2007.
- Schulze, RE, Hallowes, LA, Horan, MJC, Lumsden, TG, Pike, A, Thornton-Dibb, S and Warburton, ML. 2007. South African Quaternary Catchments Database. In: Schulze, RE (Ed). 2007. South African Atlas of Climatology and Agrohydrology. Water Research Commission, Pretoria, RSA, WRC Report 1489/1/06, Section 2.3.
- Jewitt, GPW, Lorentz, SA, Gush, MB, Thornton-Dibb, S, Kongo, V, Wiles, L, Blight, J, Stuart-Hill, SI, Versfeld, D and Tomlinson, K. 2009. Methods and Guidelines for the Licensing of SFRAs With Particular Reference to Low Flows. WRC Report No. 1428/1/09. Pretoria.
- Idowu, OA, Lorentz, SA, Annandale, JG, Aken, M, McCartney, MP, Thornton-Dibb, SLC and Westhuizen, A. 2010. Comparative assessment of widespread irrigation with low quality mine-water in undisturbed and rehabilitated mine-lands in the upper Olifants using the ACRU2000 model. Water SA 36 (5): pgs. 543-552.