Tel: +27 33 260 5489
Email: Prof Roland Schulze
Centre for Water Resources Research (CWRR)
School of Agricultural, Earth And Environmental Sciences
Private Bag X01
Senior Research Associate
Prof Roland Schulze (PhD, University of Natal), is a Fellow of the Royal Society of South Africa and Member of the Academy of Science of South Africa. Recently retired as Professor of Hydrology at UKZN, he is now a Senior Research Associate of the Centre for Water Resource Research. Originally a hydrological model developer, his main focus at present is on climate change issues on the water and agricultural sectors, on hydro-climatic mapping and integrated water resource management. In the climate change field he has led several multi-institutional research projects with national and international funding. Author of over 550 scientific publications, he also has wide international lecturing and collaborative research experience. Prof Schulze was recently appointed to the Minister’s National Water Advisory Committee.
BSc Hons (1st class) (Natal) 1964
MSc (cum laude) (Natal) 1968
PhD (Natal) 1975
Professional Hydrologist (AIH USA) 1986
Fellow of the Royal Society of South Africa
Fellow of the University of KwaZulu-Natal
Member of the Academy of Science of South Africa
Current Research Projects
- Adaptive Interventions in Agriculture to Reduce Vulnerability of Different Farming Systems to Climate Change in South Africa Study (Water Research Commission, 2009-2014)
- Developing Water Related Climate Change Adaptation Options to Support Implementation of Policy and Strategies for Growth and Development (Water Research Commission, 2011-2014)
- Hydrological Modelling in the Waterberg Catchment Area (ESKOM, 2010-20120)
- An investigation into the effects of climate change on eutrophication and related water quality as well as secondary impacts on aquatic systems (Water Research Commission, 2011-2013)
- Long Term Adaptation Scenarios for South Africa (GIZ/ Dept Environmental Affairs, 2012-2014)
- Investigating Climate Change Effects Under Altered Land Uses On Water Yield And Downstream Ecosystem Services (Water Research Commission, 2012-14)
Selected Recent Publications
- SCHULZE, R.E. (2011). Approaches towards practical adaptive management options for selected water-related sectors in South Africa in a context of climate change. Water SA, 37, 621-645. http//doc.doi.org/10.4314/wsa.v37i5.1
- SCHULZE, R.E. (2011). Atlas of Climate Change and the South African Agricultural Sector: A 2010 Perspective. Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Pretoria, RSA. pp 392. ISBN 978-1-86871-307-3
- SCHULZE, R.E. (2011). A 2011 Perspective on Climate Change and the South African Water Sector. Water Research Commission, Pretoria, RSA, WRC Report 1843/2/11. pp 366.
- GHILE, Y.B. and SCHULZE, R.E. (2010). Evaluation of three Numerical Prediction Models for short and medium range agrohydrological applications. Water Resources Management, 24, 1005 – 1028.
- WARBURTON, M.L., SCHULZE, R.E. and JEWITT, G.P.W. (2012). Hydrological impacts of land use change in three diverse South African catchments. Journal of Hydrology, 414-415, 118-135.