BSc Hons (Hydrology)
BSc (Hydrology and Geography)
My research interests include hydrological modelling, remote sensing and geographic information systems, data science and stable isotope hydrology.
Current Research Projects:
- Socio-Economic Benefits of Ecological Infrastructure (SEBEI) project. Funded by the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs (DANIDA), Project, grant no: 17-M07-KU.
- Critical catchment hydrological model inter-comparison and model use guidance development project. Funded by the Water Research Commission. Project number project K5/2927.
- The expansion of knowledge on evapotranspiration and stream flow reduction of different clones/hybrids to improve the water use estimation of sfra species (i.e. Pinus, Eucalyptus, and Wattle species) project. Funded by the Water Research Commission. Project number project K5/2791.
- Gokool, S, Moody, JE, Nippert, J, Swemmer, A, Chetty, KT, Magombeyi, M and Riddell, ES. 2021. A preliminary evaluation of ecohydrological separation in a semi-arid riparian area. Ecohydrology & Hydrobiology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecohyd.2021.01.002.
- Gokool, S and Jewitt, GPW. 2019 Identifying hotspots for investment in ecological infrastructure within the uMngeni catchment, South Africa. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, Parts A/B/C. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pce.2019.11.003.
- Gokool, S, Riddell, ES, Nel, JM, Raubenheimer, R, Strydom, T, Swemmer, A, Chetty, KT. 2019. Quantifying the contribution of riparian total evaporation to streamflow transmission losses: Preliminary investigations along the Groot Letaba river. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, Parts A/B/C. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pce.2019.11.002.
- Gokool, S, Riddell, ES, Jarmain, C, Chetty, KT, Feig, G and Thenga, H. 2019. Evaluating the accuracy of satellite-derived evapotranspiration estimates acquired during conditions of water stress. International Journal of Remote Sensing 41(2): 704-724. https://doi.org/10.1080/01431161.2019.1646940.
- Gokool, S, Riddell, ES, Swemmer, A, Nippert, JB, Raubenheimer, R and Chetty, KT. 2018. Estimating groundwater contribution to transpiration using satellite-derived evapotranspiration estimates coupled with stable isotope analysis. Journal of Arid Environments 152: 45-54.
- Gokool, S, Jarmain, C, Riddell, E, Swemmer, A, Lerm, R and Chetty, KT. 2017. Quantifying riparian total evaporation along the Groot Letaba River: A comparison between infilled and spatially downscaled satellite derived total evaporation estimates. Journal of Arid Environments 147: 114-124.
- Gokool, S, Chetty KT, Jewitt, GPW and Heeralal, A. 2016. Estimating total evaporation at the field scale using the SEBS model and data infilling procedures. Water SA 42 (4). http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/wsa.v42i4.18.
Water Research Commission (WRC) Reports:
- Riddell, E.S., Nel, J.M., Gokool, S., Jarmain, C., Raubenheimer, R., Strydom, T., Swemmer, A., 2017. Quantification of transmission losses along the Letaba River for improved delivery of environmental water requirements (ecological reserve). Water Research Commission Report, Project Number K5/2338.
- Riddell, ES, Jewitt, GPW, Chetty, KT, Saraiva-Okello, AML, Jackson, B, Lamba, A, Gokool, S, Naidoo, P, Vather, T and Thornton-Dibb, S. 2014. Final Report: A Management Tool for the Inkomati Basin with focus on Improved Hydrological Understanding for Risk-based Operational Water Management. Deliverable 9, Project K5/1935, March 2014.