Tel: +27 33 260 6499
Email: Mr Richard Kunz
Centre for Water Resources Research (CWRR)
Rabie Saunders Building, Room 341Z
University of KwaZulu-Natal
Research Fellow and PhD Candidate
Richard Kunz has an MSc in Hydrology and is working on his PhD (part time) in the Centre for Water Resources Research at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, Pietermaritzburg. His main research involves estimating the water use and yield of potential feedstocks that are suitable for biofuel production in South Africa. The impacts of climate change on water resources and agriculture is another research field of interest.
(1997–1998) Basic Ambulance Assistant (Distinction), MRI, South Africa.
(1992–1993) MSc in Hydrology (Cum Laude), University of Natal, Pietermaritzburg.
(1991–1991) BSc Honours in Hydrology (Cum Laude), University of Natal, Pietermaritzburg.
(1987–1990) BSc in Hydrology (Distinction), University of Natal, Pietermaritzburg.
Current Research Projects
- The water use of strategic biofuel feedstocks (e.g. grain sorghum and soybean), including the agronomy and economics of communal land farming (WRC 2015-2020).
Selected Recent Publications
- JEWITT, G. and KUNZ, R. (2011). The impact of biofuel feedstock production on water resources: a developing country perspective. Biofuels, Bioproducts and Biorefining 5, 387-398.
- GRAHAM, L.P., ANDERSSON, L., HORAN, M., KUNZ, R., LUMSDEN, T., SCHULZE R., WARBURTON, M., WILK, J. and YANG, W. (2011). Using multiple climate projections for assessing hydrological response to climate change in the Thukela River Basin, South Africa. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth 36, 727–735.
- KUNZ, R.P. and SCHULZE, R.E. (2010). Climate change 2010 and climate zones in South Africa. In: eds. SCHULZE, R.E. Atlas of Climate Change and the South African Agricultural Sector: A 2010 Perspective, Chapter 4.4. Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Pretoria, RSA. ISBN: 978-1-86871-307-3. 391 pp.
- BARICHIEVY, K.R., SCHULZE, R.E. and KUNZ, R.P. (2009). Results 2: Changes in selected eco-hydrological flow indicators over southern Africa under regimes of climate change as projected by the ECHAM5/MPI-OM global climate model. In: TADROSS, M. and SCHULZE, R.E. (Eds). Regional aspects of climate change and the secondary impacts on water resources. Water Research Commission, Pretoria, RSA, WRC Report 1562/1/09, Section 12.
- BARICHIEVY, K.R., SCHULZE, R.E. and KUNZ, R.P. (2009). Results 3: Spatial changes in water temperature indicators with climate change in the Thukela catchment using the ECHAM5 GCM. In: TADROSS, M. and SCHULZE, R.E. (Eds). Regional aspects of climate change and the secondary impacts on water resources. Water Research Commission, Pretoria, RSA, WRC Report 1562/1/09, Section 13.