Tel: +27 33 260 6027
Email: Ms Tinisha Chetty
Centre for Water Resources Research (CWRR)
Rabie Saunders Building, Room 205
University of KwaZulu-Natal
Ms Chetty has been employed at UKZN for fifteen years, of which the last nine years have been in the position of a full time lecturer in Hydrology at the School of Agriculture, Earth and Environmental Sciences. Research interests include hydrological modelling, design hydrology and the use of remote sensing technology for water resources management. She is currently registered for a PhD in linking remotely sensed (satellite based) fluxes in the hydrological cycle (rainfall and ET) to hydrological models..
MSc (Hydrology), University of KwaZulu-Natal.
BSc Honours (Hydrology), University of Natal.
BSc (Chemistry & Hydrology) University of Natal.
Best Lecturer Award (2010) – School of Bioresources Engineering and Environmental Hydrology
Best Lecturer Award (2011) – School of Bioresources Engineering and Environmental Hydrology
Current Research Projects
- RISKOMAN – A management tool for the Inkomati Basin with focus on improved hydrological understanding for risk-based operational water management (Water Research Commission 2010-2013) – Part of the Project Team
- Development and Assessment of an Integrated Water Use Quantification Methodology for South Africa. Part of Project team
Selected Recent Publications
- CHETTY, K and SMITHERS, J.C. 2007. The Development of a Continuous Simulation Modeling System for Design Flood Estimation in South Africa. Proceedings of the 12th SANCIAHS Symposium, 5-7 September 2007, Midrand, South Africa.
- GOVENDER, M., CHETTY, K. AND BULCOCK, H. 2007. A Review of Hyperspectral Remote Sensing and its application in Vegetation and Water Resources Studies. Water SA 33:2, 145-148.
- SMITHERS, J.C., CHETTY, K.T, FREZGHI, M.S., KNOESEN, D.M. AND TEWOLDE, M.H. 2007. Development and assessment of a continuous simulation modelling system for design flood estimation. WRC Report 1317/1 /07. Water Research Commission, Pretoria, South Africa.
- SMITHERS, J.C., CHETTY, K., FREZGHI, M.S., KNOESEN, D.M. AND TEWOLDE, M.H. 2007. Development and Assessment of a Continuous Simulation Modelling System for Design Flood Estimation: Thukela Catchment Case Study. Proceedings of the 13th SANCIAHS Symposium, 5-7 September 2007, Cape Town, South Africa.
- GOVENDER, M., CHETTY, K. NAIKEN, V AND BULCOCK, H. 2008. A comparison of satellite hyperspectral and multispectral remote and mapping of vegetation”, Water SA 34, pp.147.
- CHETTY, K. 2010. An assessment of scale issues related to the configuration of the ACRU model for design flood estimation. MSc Thesis. School of Bioresources Engineering and Environmental Hydrology, University of KwaZulu-Natal.
- SMITHERS, J.C., CHETTY, K. 2011. An assessment of scale issues related to the configuration of the ACRU model for design flood estimation. Hydrology Research 42:5, 401–412. IWA Publishing 2011.